Sorting by

×

Trump’s National Guard Fight Gets Ugly

Advertisements

Things escalated faster than expected.

President Donald Trump’s battle over National Guard deployments has exploded into a potentially massive legal showdown, with the president threatening a liberal Washington think tank with a $5 billion defamation lawsuit.

The Center for American Progress (CAP) published a report challenging the Trump administration’s claims about the effect National Guard deployments have had on violent crime.

Trump says the organization went far beyond legitimate political disagreement.

His personal attorney demanded that CAP retract its report, apologize and compensate the president by 5 p.m. Friday — or potentially face a defamation lawsuit seeking at least $5 billion.

CAP refused.

Now the confrontation could move from Washington’s political battlefield into the courtroom.

Trump Goes After Liberal Think Tank

The dispute began after CAP published an analysis examining National Guard deployments and violent crime in American cities.

The liberal organization concluded that there was no evidence showing the deployments were responsible for falling violent crime.

CAP argued that crime was already declining before the National Guard operations and accused the Trump administration of taking credit for a trend that was already underway.

Trump strongly disputes that characterization.

Earlier this month, the president blasted the organization on Truth Social and described its report as another “Radical Left SCAM.”

But Trump did not stop with a social media response.

His attorney, Alejandro Brito, sent CAP a nine-page letter laying out a potential defamation case against the organization.

Trump’s Lawyer Makes Serious Accusation

According to Trump’s legal team, the controversy is not simply about two sides interpreting crime statistics differently.

Brito argued that CAP improperly turned a disagreement over data into an allegation that Trump knowingly deceived the American people.

The attorney accused the organization of presenting a damaging and allegedly false characterization of the president’s conduct.

That distinction could become extremely important if Trump follows through with a lawsuit.

Political organizations generally enjoy broad First Amendment protections when criticizing government officials and public policy. Defamation cases involving public figures also face significant legal hurdles.

Trump’s attorneys, however, are arguing that CAP crossed the line from protected political disagreement into allegedly defamatory claims.

The president’s legal team says those claims caused Trump financial and reputational harm.

$5 Billion Deadline Raises the Stakes

Trump’s attorney initially gave CAP until 5 p.m. Friday to retract the report, apologize and provide compensation.

The alternative was potentially enormous.

Trump threatened to seek at least $5 billion in damages if the organization refused his demands.

CAP did exactly that.

The organization rejected Trump’s demands and continued defending its research, setting the stage for an even bigger confrontation.

Trump has repeatedly used litigation against media organizations and others he believes have published false or damaging information about him.

This latest dispute is different because the target is a major liberal policy organization rather than a traditional television network or newspaper.

Neera Tanden Fires Back

CAP President and CEO Neera Tanden, who previously served as a senior adviser to President Joe Biden, strongly rejected Trump’s allegations.

Tanden defended CAP’s work as evidence-based research and argued that organizations must remain free to challenge the claims of presidential administrations.

She called the threatened lawsuit “baseless” and said CAP would not back down.

For Tanden and CAP, the fight has become a First Amendment issue.

The organization argues that policy researchers must be able to examine government programs and publish conclusions that presidents — Republican or Democratic — may strongly dislike.

Trump’s legal team sees the situation differently.

Its position is that First Amendment protections do not provide a license to publish false and defamatory claims about an individual.

That disagreement could ultimately become the heart of any lawsuit.

National Guard Crime Debate Takes Center Stage

The legal confrontation comes amid a larger national debate about Trump’s use of the National Guard as part of his law-and-order agenda.

Trump has made fighting violent crime a major priority and has argued that a stronger federal presence can help restore safety in American communities.

Supporters see tougher law enforcement as an important response to years of concern over crime, disorder and public safety.

Advertisements

Critics question whether deploying National Guard troops deserves credit for declining crime rates.

CAP’s report falls squarely into that debate.

The organization argues that violent crime was already falling and that the deployments did not produce a measurable change in those trends.

The Trump administration and its supporters have pushed a broader argument that an increased law-enforcement presence can deter crime, restore order and give communities greater confidence in public safety.

Establishing exactly what causes crime rates to rise or fall can be difficult.

Police staffing, prosecution policies, economic conditions, demographics, incarceration, local laws and numerous other factors can affect crime statistics.

That complexity is one reason the battle over CAP’s conclusions has become so contentious.

CAP Lawyer Challenges Trump

CAP general counsel Kevin H. Metz went even further in his response to Trump’s attorney.

Metz called the prospect of a lawsuit “absurd” and indicated that CAP would welcome the opportunity to defend its research.

He also issued a warning.

If Trump files suit, CAP could pursue discovery seeking documents and other information related to the National Guard deployments.

That could include questions about deployment costs and White House involvement in the policy.

Discovery could therefore turn what begins as a defamation lawsuit into a much broader examination of the administration’s National Guard strategy.

CAP Raises a Warning for Conservatives

CAP also made an argument that could get the attention of conservatives.

Metz warned that a legal precedent allowing presidents to target policy organizations over research they dispute might eventually be used against conservative institutions.

He specifically referenced organizations such as the Heritage Foundation and America First Policy Institute.

The argument is straightforward: If a Republican president can pursue a liberal think tank over allegedly defamatory policy research, could a future Democratic president attempt something similar against a conservative organization?

For Americans concerned about government pressure on political speech, that question could prove important.

Conservatives have spent years raising concerns about government agencies, political censorship and efforts to pressure organizations over unpopular viewpoints.

CAP is now attempting to place Trump’s threatened lawsuit inside that same debate.

Trump’s lawyers would likely reject that comparison because their allegation is not simply that CAP criticized the administration.

They contend that CAP published defamatory claims about Trump.

Whether a court agrees could determine how far this battle goes.

Trump’s Legal Battles Continue

Trump is no stranger to high-profile legal fights.

Throughout his political career, he has pursued lawsuits against organizations and individuals he believes treated him unfairly or published false information.

Some of those battles have generated major settlements, while others have faced significant legal obstacles.

The CAP confrontation could become especially significant because it combines several politically explosive subjects at once: crime, presidential power, the National Guard, liberal advocacy organizations and freedom of speech.

It also comes as Americans continue debating how aggressively the federal government should intervene when local leaders struggle with crime and disorder.

For voters who prioritize public safety, that broader debate may ultimately matter more than the legal fight itself.

What Happens Next?

CAP has refused Trump’s demand to retract its National Guard report.

That leaves the next move to the president.

Trump could proceed with the threatened $5 billion defamation lawsuit, modify his demands or allow the dispute to remain a political battle.

If a lawsuit is filed, expect both sides to make sweeping arguments about free speech and accountability.

Trump’s attorneys could argue that political organizations cannot knowingly spread damaging falsehoods about a president simply by labeling their work policy research.

CAP could counter that allowing presidents to punish organizations for disputed research would have a chilling effect on political speech and independent analysis.

Those are questions that reach far beyond Donald Trump or one liberal think tank.

A precedent established today could eventually affect conservative organizations under a future Democratic administration.

For now, one thing is clear: Trump’s National Guard fight has become much bigger than a dispute over crime statistics.

With a potential $5 billion lawsuit, a First Amendment battle and the president’s public-safety agenda all colliding, this political showdown may be just beginning.