Sorting by

×

Trump Delivers Good News To American Taxpayers

Advertisements

Here’s what President Trump said.

President Donald Trump delivered welcome news for taxpayers Saturday, declaring that American taxpayers will not be responsible for the construction cost of his massive White House ballroom project.

The announcement came just one day after the Trump administration scored a temporary victory at the Supreme Court, allowing above-ground construction to continue while a legal battle surrounding the project moves forward.

Trump also said construction is running under budget and ahead of schedule.

For Americans concerned about government spending, however, the biggest part of Trump’s announcement involved who will ultimately pick up the bill.

According to the president, it won’t be taxpayers.

Trump Says Taxpayers Won’t Pay For White House Ballroom

Trump provided an update on the project Saturday morning, posting a photograph of the construction site on Truth Social.

The president praised the progress being made on what he called the White House “BALLROOM/MILITARY COMPLEX.”

Trump then addressed one of the biggest controversies surrounding the project: its cost to taxpayers.

“The Ballroom will be paid for with ZERO Dollars of Taxpayer Money,” Trump wrote.

The president said private American donors and companies are covering the ballroom’s construction costs.

Trump also maintained that construction remains “under budget” and “ahead of schedule.”

If the project is ultimately completed without taxpayer funding for the ballroom’s construction, it could help Trump answer critics who have questioned whether Americans would be forced to shoulder part of the expense.

White House Ballroom Costs Have Faced Scrutiny

Questions about financing have followed the project for months.

Trump initially said private donors would completely fund the approximately $400 million project. Later reports indicated that the estimated overall price had climbed to approximately $600 million.

Previously reported contractor records also raised questions about the financing arrangements.

Records from March 2025 reportedly indicated that officials expected approximately $293 million in private donations, while additional expenses could potentially come from taxpayer-funded budgets connected to agencies including the U.S. Secret Service and White House Military Office.

Those reports fueled criticism over whether federal money appropriated by Congress for other purposes could ultimately be used in connection with the project.

Trump’s latest statement directly pushes back against concerns that taxpayers will be responsible for the ballroom itself.

The White House has been asked to provide additional details about the financing.

Advertisements

Supreme Court Hands Trump A Temporary Victory

Trump’s announcement came after another significant development involving the White House project.

Chief Justice John Roberts on Friday temporarily allowed above-ground construction to continue, putting a lower court order blocking that work on hold.

The Supreme Court’s action represents an important short-term victory for the Trump administration, but it does not settle the underlying legal dispute.

Instead, Roberts’ administrative stay gives the Supreme Court additional time to consider the administration’s emergency appeal.

That means construction can continue for now while the legal process plays out.

Trump Administration Celebrates Court Decision

Attorney General Todd Blanche welcomed Roberts’ decision and defended the administration’s plans for the White House grounds.

Blanche argued that presidents have needed additional ballroom, security and military facilities at the White House for decades.

He said the administration intends to continue allowing the case to work its way through the courts while construction moves forward under the temporary stay.

The legal battle could therefore continue even as crews make progress on the project.

Why The Taxpayer Question Matters

The financing debate comes at a time when government spending, federal deficits and the national debt remain major concerns for many American families.

That makes Trump’s promise particularly significant politically.

Rather than asking Congress to make taxpayers pay for the ballroom’s construction, Trump says private donors and American companies will cover the bill.

The distinction could resonate especially strongly with fiscal conservatives who have repeatedly called on Washington to reduce unnecessary taxpayer expenses.

Critics are still expected to scrutinize the project’s finances, particularly because of earlier reports suggesting government agency budgets could be involved in certain expenses associated with the broader project.

Those questions make it important to distinguish between Trump’s pledge concerning the ballroom’s construction costs and any separate government expenses related to security, military operations or other federal responsibilities at the White House.

Construction Moves Forward As Legal Battle Continues

For now, Trump has two developments to celebrate.

The Supreme Court has temporarily allowed above-ground construction to continue, and the president is publicly promising that taxpayers will not be stuck with the ballroom’s construction bill.

The ultimate legal outcome remains undecided, and questions about the project’s overall financing are likely to continue.

But Trump’s message to taxpayers Saturday was simple: private donors are paying for the ballroom, construction is moving forward, and he says the project remains under budget and ahead of schedule.

For Americans tired of watching expensive Washington projects land on the taxpayer’s tab, that is an announcement likely to get plenty of attention.